Tuesday, November 25, 2008

And so it begins.....

So I've always said I wanted to do this. I wanted to help people figure out what they needed for their babies. To help them pick out the things they need and want.
I have been doing it professionally for about 18 years. I couldn't even begin to count the amount of strollers I've folded, the crib sides I've dropped, or the bedding I've folded...the dust ruffles I've straightened. It would seem, to some, a monotonous job. Something boring or unfulfilling.
Those things couldn't be further from the truth. Think about it. A couple come into the store. They are expecting their first child. The happiest times of their lives are ahead of them. Their lives are about to change more than at any other time. And they have...no...idea...what's...ahead.
It's my job to show them the way. To help them choose their furniture, to show them strollers suited just for their lifestyle, to explain the features and benefits.
And I love every silly second of it. Yes, sometimes I get burned out. Sometimes I don't think I can fold one more stroller or explain one more time how the Mustela breast pump works.
But then a customer will walk through the door and she won't have any idea what a burp cloth is for or how many uses it has and I will get excited all over again. Am I a dork? Yes, but I'm okay with it if you are.
Tomorrow...mattresses. Colgate or Moonlight Slumber? Organic or not?

No comments: